Monday, December 9, 2013

For Lara

One of my fellow Wombats, Lara, had a birthday this past week and I wanted to send her something fun. I had a look through her Pinterest boards and was thinking of making her a wonky house but then I found this fun tutorial while looking through her Flickr favorites. As I read through the tute I decided it was the project for me to make. It is a really good tutorial but with 2 layers of insul-brite and a layer of batting (i don't recall what amount of insul brite and batting she used for her trivet) and no straight stretches, the closure is a bit wonky. The next time I make this pattern I will modify the template to have a flat bottom. 
In the tutorial there is a picture of a trivet made with a curved bottomand another with a flat bottom but the template to download is the curvy tea pot. I followed the tutorial with out any modifictions other than making mine patchworky.
Then, of course, the trivet needed a coordinating tea towel. This pretty orange vintage trim was a fun find to use! I wish they still  made trims like this.


To make the tea towel I shrank the trivet template by about 30% and made the tea pot in the same patchwork fashion. Lara loves saturated color and it was fun to pull a fabric stack to use for this project. I backed it in a rose garden, one of Julianna Horner prints.


Happy Birthday Lara! 

Remember when my Fairy Tale quilt won the Bee  quilt category in the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side? The prize was 12 fat quarters from Modern Yardage. Here are the 12 fat quarters. I love that they send all the fat quarters on one sheet of fabric. The right hand side has a bit of info about the fabric designers. I think it would be fun to order again with the intent of having a ready made quilt top instead of cutting these fat quarters up to use individually.



I think it is fun that you can choose from a small, medium, or large scale print. I chose the medium scale predominately but also chose some small and large scale prints. Modern Yardage also has some great colors to choose from. The plus signs are medium scale, the mustard butterflies are small scale and the coral butterflies are medium scale.

As you can see I mostly chose blender fabrics and think I would like the whole bold basics collection in every color. I have a plus sign quilt on my mind and it came out in my fabric picks.

With it being Christmas time I couldn't resist the Christmas trees. It didn't photograph well but the mint star print next to the trees is one of my favorites; I would like it in a couple other colors. I rounded out my picks with a couple of dotty prints. I love that this fabric is made in America. There are very few things made in America so when I find an American made company I like to support them! The quality of the fabric is excellent too. I would describe it as a little heavier than Kona cotton with the silky type feel of Art Gallery fabrics. Once I have made it through the holidays I am going to put some in the first project possible to see how it sews up. Happy Monday!!!


16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful gift!!! And that fabric is fabulous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your gift set that you made for Lara! It's just gorgeous and perfectly suited!

    The FQs look very cool! Would definitely be a fun way to order a ready made cheater quilt top - good chance to experiment with different FMQ designs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, you made so nice presents for your friend Lara!!! Really wonderful!

    And fabrics... yes, they are very very nice too!

    Have a wonderful time! Jola :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous gift, Gina! I am sure Lara would love it. The combination of prints on the small tea pot is so colorful and joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the sweetest gift, Gina! Just beautiful!
    and the fat quarter cloth is really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute set you made! Happy Monday to you too. Your quilt is lovely. It will be so snugly when it's finished : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Kona cotton, but haven't used art gallery. I love learning about fabrics and fabric companies. Made in America, wonderful! I love your tea towel. I'm always impressed by your artistic, thoughtful touches:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lara's happy day is a given with your perfect gifts, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love your teapot trivot and matching tea towel gifts! They are so beautiful the way you put it all together !
    I think you are a Tea Towel Queen!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your gifts are lovely! I just love your attention to detail. So very pretty! Love the many fabrics on the panel. What a neat way to receive them all together like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your gifts are always so perfect Gina!
    Love the matching tea towel with the vintage trim.
    And love your choices from Modern Yardage, can't wait to see what comes of them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The teapot trivet is glorious Gina, what a fun gift to make and receive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What super cute gift! I love the idea of ordering a "cheater print" from modern yardage. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your little teapots are delightful. Off to check out modern Yardage....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cutest trivet on the planet. That orange trim is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The birthday gift is to perfection! And how fun to get to see your fabric prize! Vicarious winning ;)

    ReplyDelete