Thursday, April 3, 2014

Birthday Central

I know a lot of people with birthdays that fall the last 2 weeks of March- midApril. I have shown some peaks but now that some have received their gifts I can show all. For Marieka, who loves dandelions and hexies, I made a dandelion hot pad holder and a travel sewing kit. I made myself one of the sewing kits 2 or 3 years back and use it a lot. Hopefully Marieka will find it handy since she is addicted to making hexies at the moment. Her favorite color is blue so the back of the hot pad features a blue dandelion print. I have a niece who turned 13 who shares Marieka's birthday but my niece got a gift card.
For Jane I made a hot pad holder and a tea towel. I debated over color for her since she likes red and rainbows and in the end went with red. The back of the tea towel features a Cloud 9 print with garden cats since Jane loves cats. For the hot pad I used a pattern from Charise Creates for the paper pieced apple.

I had seen quilts with a self binding edge and thought I would try it out on a tea towel. It was fun for something different and i liked the color it adds around the edges.


The back of the hot pad is a pocket and one of my favorite Alexander Henry prints.

My friend Monika shares a birthday with Jane and another niece of mine. Three birthdays on the same day...I think that is a record! Monika celebrated a decade birthday (as did Jane but it was a different decade) so I was thinking retro when I made Monika's gift :). I made her and Jane's gift at the same time so they ended up being the same but different.  

I used one of Kristy's fun patterns for the hot pad holder  and some Riley Blake fabric.


I backed both the tea towel and the hot pad in the same retro kitchen print from JoAnn's. Monika's favorite color is red, too. So let's see, that is 5 birthdays down and 5 to go but I only need to make for 3 of the 5. Whew, but I do enjoy coming up with something to suit the intended recipient.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my! What a wonderful batch of kitchen goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful gifts, perfect for each recipient! Happy Birthday, all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a ton of birthdays! I have hubby's Saturday and moms Thursday!! You and all your awesome fabric! I do love that Alexander Henry Apple print. I have a generic version, I'll have to show you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. such lovely birthday pressies :-) I love the travel sewing case especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a great batch of birthday goodies! You always make such adorable goodies, and each one sounds perfect for the recipient! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful gifts Gina, the recipients must have been thrilled with all the thought that went into them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You have been busy with birthdays! All your gifts are fantastic, what a bunch of lucky girls!
    I love all the apples, just awesome G!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice gifts, Gina! I love the full of color binding too :)
    Have a wonderful weekend! Jola

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, really like the dandelion!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fortunate recipients. Perfect fabric & color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can tell you enjoy making these gift because you do them so well! I can see love in each and every fabric choice and stitch :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhhh those apples are adorable!!! love love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for my beautiful gift, I love it! The cat floral is just perfect, I adore it. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are fantastic Gina! You put so much thought into the choices for the gifts and it just shows! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooohhh! The apples!!! Gina, they are so so cute! I absolutely adore your apple appliqués. Great choice of fabrics. Beautiful gifts and lucky recipients. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful and thoughtful gifts for all! I love your colors and fabrics.... you make everything to perfection!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete