Friday, April 11, 2014

Friday Finishes

Midge had a birthday this past week so I made her a little something. Her favorite color is coral so I used some Art Gallery Reminence. I was in the mood for making hexies... so I did!

I was using fat quarters so the back was pieced with two different prints.  I "kitchened" up the fabric by adding in some measuring spoons. Midge loves text prints so I added a few of those and the "6" is the number of people in her family.



I used Amy's tutorial to make the potholder. I have made a few of these and they are fun to make.  For the front pocket I paper pieced the hexies, stitched them together, then cut the panel to the needed size.  I didn't want to cut off the hexies on the bottom of the hotpad holder so I only rounded the top corners and made my bias binding from a coral solid. The ribbon across the bottom of the towel and on the potholder is by Anna Maria Horner and is so soft!

One of Sam's friends had a birthday this week, too, so I made her a wide open zip. It was the first time I had made this and it was fun to put together. Hannah's favorite colors are soft pink, white, and turquoise so I used that for my color scheme. I used a vinyl on the bottom but it feels like leather ( thats why I bought it). I wasn't sure if it would work out but it did. It was a little tricky to not iron.

We filled it with some lip gloss, nail polish, and candy. I will definitely be making some more of these.

I made the little tag on the side using Larisa's tutorial. I stamped a butterfly on one side and Hannah's initials on the other.
I like to add a tag to the things I make but I usually forget. I made a couple of extras to have on hand and had fun making these. I am going to try and be better about remembering to add these.

For our Cheer Circle at do.Good Stitches the quilter asked for saturated greens. She wanted one part of the block to be low volume, whether it was the plus, or the X, or the background. This block has been on my to make list so I was happy to have the chance to make it. We used this tutorial which was very easy to follow. Have a fun weekend!! Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it Friday!


16 comments:

  1. Such a cute little bag! What would you do if your friends didn't have birthdays?! Just so sweet, as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Japanese X blocks! Wonderful!!! They are really great. And, Gina, your presents are sooo lovely!!! The tags are so sweet. It is really very nice idea to use the stamps!
    Have a wonderful weekend! Jola ***

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your finishes are lovely and those blocks are beautiful! Gotta love green :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured it out. You are like a graphic designer, but with fabrics. I love when you describe fabric-I think you are a textile lush! I love all the neat details you put into your projects.

    You know, they swear that 2 people can make the exact same recipe, the same way; and the one who's cooking for people she loves tastes better.

    That's how your sewing is. Your little details are great, I'll never stop being impressed with how much thought goes into your design choices. Great week for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, I love the gift you have made and all the thought and love you have put into the details. There is a whole story in the present you have made for Midge. How sweet!

    I knew you would come up with something interesting - love the tiny appliqué on your tag. So cute! And the house button! Thank you for liking back to my post. :-)

    I am working on a zip pouch too at the moment and the link for the tutorial came handy. Thanks!

    Always looking forward to your beautiful creations! Have a wonderful weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spy some x and + blocks. Nice! I've yet to make one of those zip pouches

    ReplyDelete
  7. The details on your gifts are always perfect Gina! I love the sweet tags.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eeep!! Your zip pouch turned out so awesome! I love it! I've used vinyl on the bottom of two now and both times melted it a smidgen, i should probably stop using vinyl! Your tags are awesome, i definitely need to try that tutorial. Gorgeous +X blocks too, love the low-vol and green. Just perfect! And your gift for Midge, glorious! Your work is always just so beautiful G! I love that AMH ribbon, i've been thinking about picking some up and now i think i must! I may just stitch a length of it down one of the stripes in my gypsy wife!
    Awesome projects all around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. super pretty - all of them :-) I love the extra little touches - makes the gifts extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! As always,Gina! Your heart can be seen in your stitches and it really is so very beautiful! JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love all of your fabrics you put together in those gorgeous gifts! And the special touches you add to them are a delight. Everything is exquisite!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gina I'm so utterly touched and brought to tears by how much thought you put in to my gift. I'm so thankful to have you as a friend and hope that one day we can meet up IRL. You're a treasure! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I'm totally kicking myself that I didn't buy some AMH ribbon at AQC on Thursday! Aghhh!!!! *** Sneaks off to find it online xx

      Delete
  13. Absolutely thoughtful and grorgeous! Love the pouch idea, filling with nail polish etc. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love everything you made for MsMidge, and aren't the open wide zippered pouches fun, love your added label, I need to make some too. Great finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are all darling! Loving those hexies

    ReplyDelete